Why do you need a Toastmaster? Can’t the Best Man do the job? The venue said they’d provide an M.C.
It’s an important day and you want to get it right. No doubt you’re putting a lot of effort into searching out who can provide the best for you in terms of venue, flowers, decor, food and a whole lot of other things such as matching chair covers. And of course, these things all cost money. So it’s understandable that you may consider the services of a Toastmaster to be low priority.
You can certainly get married without one, just as you don’t need most of the other services you will be tempted to spend on, and you can still have a wonderful day. But if you’ve decided you want to get married in style, to spend out on those extras that will make it your unique occasion, then you would be wise to consider just how much a Toastmaster can add to your day.
Does your Best Man actually know what’s involved in organising and running such an important occasion? Is he comfortable in making announcements and holding the attention of a large group of people? Do you want him to spend the day running around or to enjoy himself? In my experience, most Best Men are stressed out just by the thought of having to make a speech!
Your venue may well provide an ‘M.C’, or ‘Toastmaster’, but they are unlikely to have undergone any training and they will be there to represent the interests of the venue, not you. And they will not be there before the day to offer you advice on etiquette etc.
W E D D I N G S - A L L F A I T H S & C U L T U R E S
'Give your Bestman the day off!'
A Wedding is one of the most important events in anyone’s life. It takes a lot of organising and planning to ensure all goes smoothly, and it can take quick thinking to to iron out any wrinkles that may crop up on the day itself. This list is not exclusive, it merely sets out the main services I provide. I can adapt it to the type of day you want.
The services I provide as a Wedding Toastmaster:
1. Advise on wedding etiquette and customs during the planning stage.
2. I will be able to offer advice and guidance so you get the best from your day, avoid easily made mistakes or assumptions and highlight things you may not have thought about. This will include a list of all the important timings needed to ensure everything runs smoothly.
3. I will liaise with your venue, caterers, entertainers, photographer and other main service providers so they know the day’s plans.
4. I will keep in touch with you so that we can make any necessary amendments or inclusions to the plan; some things are likely to change or need clarification. You will always have the final say.
5. Arrive at the venue at least an hour in advance of proceedings to ensure everything is in place for your arrival.
6. Meet with you on your arrival to verify the plans for the day.
7. Greet guests on their arrival and brief them as to the day’s events.
8. Liaise with Registrars etc., where appropriate, and give them help and information on your behalf.
9. Escort you both (and the wedding party) to the your pre-ceremony interviews, and then to the ceremony itself, where appropriate.
10. Assist the photographer after the ceremony in getting you and your guests into position for those important shots.
11. Organise the Receiving Line where required and move your guests through to the Wedding Breakfast.
12. Announce the Bride and Bridegroom and escort them to their table.
13. Say Grace if required.
14. Ensure gifts / flowers are available for presenting at the correct times.
15. Organise the circulation of the Guest Book.
16. Introduce the speakers for the customary toasts and responses.
17. Announce & supervise the cutting of the Wedding Cake.
18. Remind guests, at the conclusion of the meal, of any further arrangements for the day/evening.
19. Liaise with the band or disco as to the setting up of the equipment
20. Announce your first dance & the throwing of the bouquet if required.
21. I will be available to help you, the rest of the main wedding party, guests and other service providers
with any problems or concerns that may arise.
22. I will provide my service with humour and good grace.